My ex filed for divorce in Aug last year, I was in a motorcycle accident after papers were filed. Is she entitled to any of the

Asked over 2 years ago - Canton, OH

settlement? Divorce will be final Apr 9th. She never took care of me at all, and we were living seperate and in the middle of a divorce.

1. Alexandra Michele White

6

Answered . It depends on the purpose of the settlement. For example, if it is for the replacement of past wages or pain and suffering, it could be viewed as marital. If it is comensation for future wages which will be lost, it would not likely be viewed as marital. The way the settlement agreement is drafted (and how the funds broken down in that agreement) is very important in terms of how much the Court will consider the settlement proceeds to be "marital" and therefore subject to division equitably. I highly advise that you have your personal injury attorney consult with a divorce attorney on exactly how to word the settlement agreement so that your interests are maximized in terms of what could be viewed as marital and what is not.

2. Loretta Marie Helfrich

Pro

2

Answered . In Ohio, marital assets are subject to equitable division. If an asset is earned during the term of marriage, then it is subject to division. The term of marriage is the beginning and ending dates of the marriage. That is, the date you got married until the date you are both physically and financially separated.

You state that the divorce is to be finalized April 9th. I assume this means you will have a final or merits hearing on that date. This means that there is already either a court order regarding the division of debts and assets or an agreement reached between the parties and reduced to writing.

The written agreement or the court's order will determine what if any part of the personal injury settlement is marital. It should be spelled out fairly clearly.

Please carefully review the court orders and or the separation agreement. If you have any questions or uncertainty now is the time to ask your attorney or consult with one to review the situation.

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

2

Answered . Absent unusual circumstances you have not mentioned in your narrative, no, she would not be entitled to any settlement you receive for personal injury. Good luck!