My ex Fiance sent me a 1099 misc income form in the amount of $42,388.66. I never worked for him. He was allegedly separated

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, MS

and spent most of his time with me at my home though he did not officially live here. He did pay my tuition but he also included mortgage payments which he did not pay, utilities such as gas, water and clothing and shoes which he did pay for. When I did a detailed list with him of these things he said he paid (most of the clothes were returned because they were too big) the list was over $10,000 less than what he reported on the 1099 and he refused to provide an explanation. My actual income is $33,451.25. He is saying I have to pay taxes on my actual income plus what he reported even though he included mortgage payments he didn't pay.

1. Dana Whitney Atchley

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The very short and simple answer is that you do not have to pay taxes on the money he gave you - or, if you like, that he used to pay some of your expenses with. Certainly he couldn't give you a 1099 for that money if for no other reason than that you weren't operating a business for which he paid you money.

You should contact the IRS as soon as possible to see about getting things straightened out. I would suggest that you first go to your local IRS office and ask to speak with a representative about the issue - be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting to speak to someone, though; the government moves slowly. If you cannot get someone to straighten things out, then contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate; they should be able to help you if no one else will.

www.nytaxcounsel.com

2. Randall Ryan Saxton

1

1

Answered . If you want to speak with a tax attorney here in Jackson, I recommend Jimmy McGee. His number is 601-965-6155 or go to mcgeetaxlaw.com.