My ex fiance has entered my facebook account w/o permission and posted false pictures to damage my reputation. is this illegal?

she has posted nude pictures implying they are me. she has also contacted people from my friends list, again pretending to be me, making inappropiate remarks. facebook has closed my account and the social damage this is causing is still mounting. is there anything i can do to hold her accountable for her malicious behavior? i am not sure how to go about this. her intent is obviously to defame my character and its working. please help with any advice. thank you

Bothell, WA -

Gavin Nathaniel Johnson

Gavin Nathaniel Johnson

Business Attorney - Seattle, WA

It sounds as though you have a number of claims you could bring against your ex-fiancee. One potential problem is whether or not you can prove that the person who has logged into your Facebook account was actually your ex.

The type of behavior you describe is worthy of discussing with an attorney ASAP in order to avoid any further damage to your reputation. At the very least, you may be able to go to court to obtain a restraining order.

As I said, you really should discuss your situation with an attorney.

Richard Paul Patrick

Richard Paul Patrick

Business Attorney - Gig Harbor, WA

Washington State has specific laws prohibiting someone from accessing another's computer. You should seek legal advice from an attorney that practices invasion of privacy and identity theft.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Internet Lawyer - Hillsdale, MI

A crime to break into a computer (yours, or at the hosting company via false log-in), so that can be reported to the police. Then, there are likely torts (personal wrongs) here which could support a lawsuit. I agree with my colleagues here that the first step if to consult an attorney in your locale. Your attorny can advise you both as to making a police report and/or filing a lawsuit.