My ex-employer issued me a check without me filling the tax W4 form and the I-9 employment verification form.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

My last employer never had me fill out a W4 or the I-9 form before issuing me my checks. When I asked her about it she said she filled it out for me? How could she have done that? I am the one who is supposed to verify it's correct and to sign it. So is this illegal?

1. Stephen Samuel Messutta

Answered . She was not supposed to do that but the question is whether it was incorrect because what is it that you want to do - report her to the IRS?

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are based solely on Illinois law unless stated otherwise.

2. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . You are supposed to complete and sign the form. If someone completes the information for you and your approve and sign the form this is OK.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.