Skip to main content

My ex boyfriend of 6 years financially, emotionally abused and manipulated me. Do I have a chance of winning a judgment? ~150K

Santa Clara, CA |

When I met my ex he had some minor health issues. Shortly they became serious due to obesity. Each month there was an excuse on why he could not pay. I was force to pay household expenses 90% of the time. He manipulated me in to believing that we were a "family unit". My bank found him guilty of fraudulent usage of my ATM. He even made my rental into a hoarder’s den. He made me put on his socks, shoes, underwear and sweats daily. There was a clear pattern of abuse, manipulation and bullying. He financed a dump truck for his business, he asked if i would be willing to officially pay for all expenses for 2.5 years in exchange he would do the same and i could buy a new car. He made my house into a hoarders den forcing me to live in the garage for almost 3 years. He owes me ~$150K.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    It sounds as if you had an agreement with him and he has breached the agreement. He agreed to support you for 2 and one half years and now refuses to do it and based upon his representations he paid significant funds for your support you can look into fraudulent inducement, recision of contract, breach of contract. The Federal, case touching on many of these issues in California is the Marvin case. If he stole money by and through your AMT hopefully you filed a police report and he was charged and convicted. This would be evidence of his state of mind. You did not mention in your statement, but it is going to be very important as to what witnesses you have to substantiate your allegations.

    This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

  2. I am so sorry that you have gone through this. Your state is a community property state, please sit down with a local Santa Clara attorney and discuss your rights, you will be protected. Take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  3. Agreed. You might also want to look into legal support from legal aid or battered women's centers in your area. There are people who devote their lives to help people in your situation.

    Good luck!

    Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

  4. You need to sit down with a lawyer to discuss your situation. Feel free to contact me at 415-441-1052.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics