My ex-boyfriend is in possession of my television set. I have the bill of sale with my name on it. He is not giving it to me.

Asked about 2 years ago - Aurora, CO

The police are unwilling to help me. I do not know how to go about taking this to court. I just want my possessions back.

1. Russell J Hebets

Pro

5

Answered . If the police do not believe this is a criminal matter you need to look up the small claims court in your county. They handle civil matters for items worth less than $7,500. The court has a useful guide which I added to help you understand the forms and attempt a filing. This court can give you an order that will help you get your TV back.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

Answered . In small claims court you can seek a judgment for the value of the television which is probably sufficient. If the actual TV (or other possessions) are more important than the value then you need to go to county court and file a replevin action to get an order requiring the turnover of the property.

3. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

1

Answered . I agree that this is a small claims court matter. However, here is one more path to resolution with a slight twist. You can go online to submit your case to the famous Judge Judy TV show. It is my understanding from one of my own clients who did this successfully that If the show accepts your case, they will pay travel and accommodation expenses for you and the defendant (ex-boyfriend) to travel to do the show and pay plaintiff's damages (your losses). In that way, you would not have the typically problematic practical issue of actually collecting a money judgment from your presumably uncooperative ex-boyfriend if you win in small claims court. Good luck.