Skip to main content

My ex-boyfriend bullied me into giving him my email passwords. There was one I did not give him but he accessed it illegally.

Alpharetta, GA |

He then got my contacts. He emailed former boyfriends and said bad things about me. He made accusations about me. He emailed my employer and made accusations about me which were untrue. He emailed the wife of the owner of my company and made accusations. Do I have any legal recourse?

He jeopardized my job by telling my boss that I was going to sue him for sexual harassment. Which was completely untrue. I was grateful I didn't lose my job. He has wrecked so much damage in my life. He is rich. He has resources., I can barely pay my expenses on what I earn.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Make a poolice report and swear out a warrant for his arrest. Theft of a password and unauthorized access to your computer are serious felonies. Any person convicted of the crime of computer theft, computer trespass, computer invasion of privacy, or computer forgery shall be fined not more than $50,000.00 or imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both. Each act is a separate offense.

    OCGA 16-9-93 gives you the right to also sue for civil damages, so see a lawyer about those.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  2. Yes, file a police report and seriously considered pursuing a civil suit.

    Don't forget to check "Best Answer" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

  3. My colleagues are correct. File a police report and contact an attorney.

    The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

Internet law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics