My ex and I have 50/50 custody. Who gets to claim the kids on their taxes?

Asked over 2 years ago - Whittier, CA

We recently had change in custody. We now have 50/50 custody. The previous court order did not mention who gets to claim the children as dedpendents per tax year. What recommendation do you hav for this problem?

1. Marshall William Waller

Pro

6

Answered . The short answer is this: To claim a child there can't actually be "50/50" timeshare unless one parent gives the other parent the deduction (IRS Form 8332). That's why most 50/50 arrangements are written as "49.99/50.01." This is because to claim a child the parent must have "more than" 50% custody. As a practical matter, we are talking about an IRS audit here, which might not happen (won't happen on this issue, in fact) unless you both claim the kids, so the best you can do is talk to the other parent about this and try to come to an agreement. If that doesn't work, you should actually sit down and track when the kids were withe each parent over the year and see who actually had them more than 50% of the time (regardless of what the order says, the IRS will go off of actual time spent). Also note that I am not a tax attorney, and there may be some points here I am missing, so if possible you should consult with a tax lawyer or at the least a CPA. Good luck.

2. Hillary Johns

5

Answered . Standard orders have the parents alternate every years (i.e., mother in odd numbered years; father in even-numbered years). So it's clear, I would suggest having a court order.

If either of you have a lawyer, I would suggest having your lawyer prepare the paperwork.

3. Rebekah Ryan Main

Pro

4

Answered . If your orders do not say who gets the deduction then you should ask the court for an order on this subject or enter into a stipulation with the other parent.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

4. Mark Nickolas Longwell

Pro

2

Answered . It is usually dictated by the agreement of the parties or order of the court. You do need to be cognizant of the specific requirements of the IRS.

This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and suggest you talk to an attorney to get specific advice on this matter.