My ex and I had a very amicable divorce. We did it ourselves and quickly. we had a personal and verbal agreement on the amount

Asked over 2 years ago - Santa Clarita, CA

that he would give me in alimony. I was a stay at home mom for the 24.5 years. He earned a great deal of money. We agreed to $1800. per month. He recently got married last Jan. and he lowered to $1550. per month stating that the $250 will be my contribution to income tax. This year he is stating that he wants to go to court to rescind our agreement. He says that if I do not respond to him he will no longer continue with our agreement. Im lost and scared and not sure what to say to him. He is a well educated man and I am a high school gradutate.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. Most personal and verbal agreeements will have little legal affect the constant stream of payemnts will help support your argument but you do need a formal agreement. I suggest you retain a local CA attny and I wish you all the best, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to get yourself to an EXPERIENCED family law attorney, who can get you an enforceable ORDER for spousal support (alimony), so that your ex can't simply "change the deal" whenever he wants. Once you've spoken to an experienced attorney, you'll have a MUCH better idea of what may or may not happen if you go back to court.

  3. Laura Rose Sheppard

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My best advice would be to beat him to the punch and hire a lawyer to sue him for spousal support. Your lawyer can tell the court about the agreement, and show evidence that he's been paying it consistently up until he got married. Then ask the court to continue that amount. He will of course respond by asking the court to lower it - but it sounds like he's going to do that anyway. And you'll now have the upper hand by filing first. Make sure your lawyer understands that there are specific statutory factors that help a judge to determine a fair amount of spousal support - it has to do with the different capacities for earning, the length of the marriage, and the standard of living during the marriage. These things will have to be proven at a trial
    Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,038 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,038 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering