My ex and I got a civil union 5years ago in New Hampshire, it has now turned into a marriage Is there a way to get it dissolved?

Asked over 1 year ago - College Station, TX

Tried to get her to file, she lives in MA and I live in TX, but she refuses or says she will but then doesn't.

Additional information

I want nothing from her settlement wise, no property, no money and we had no joint kids. I just the peace of mind knowing I am free of a bad decision made years ago and can now move on in my life.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. If you are married and cannot find your spouse you may be able to file a divorce by publication. You may file in the state that has jurisidction, chat with a local attny in your state and he or she will help you. Take care and Merry Christmas.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Speak to an experienced divorce lawyer in both MA and TX to see if you meet the residency requirement of either state. You can get a divorce even if the other side refuses to sign the paperwork.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,856 answers this week

2,724 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,856 answers this week

2,724 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary