Skip to main content

My ex and I divorced in WA. My ex just sent me a year's worth of uninsured medical bills, asking for my share of the cost.

Snohomish, WA |

I was never notified of these bills before. is there a time limit in Washington on how long after the bills are incurred that they must be presented to me for payment? Are any of her claims for these bills waived because they were not timely presented to me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The answer depends on the wording of the final orders in your divorce. You should call an experienced family law attorney to schedule a brief paid consultation to review the pleadings and medical bills, and to interview you about the details.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes



The divorce decree is silent on this specific issue; only that I have to pay my proportionate share of the uninsured medical expenses of the children. Is there no state law or other caselaw on this subject? I can't be the first person to have been surprised with a year's worth of uninsured medical expenses ...



FYI, we have been divorced almost 10 years, and the only bills she has ever presented to me were for the kids' braces, which I paid directly to the provider.


Unless here is some language in the decree or PP -- n to both questions.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.


If, for example, you have insurance that would have covered the expenses had claims for the expenses been timely made and your insurance would now deny the claims because they are made too late, you may be able to convince the court that you should not have to pay because the mother gave you the bills too late.

However, you likely would spend several thousand dollars to get a ruling from the court. So, unless the bills are more than the certain cost of litigation, it likely is cheaper to pay.

The next time you need to go to court, you should ask the court to order that the parents submit receipts to the other parent within a specific time (for example, 3 months) after incurring the expense or forfeit the right to reimbursement.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer