Skip to main content

My ex and her husband got arrested last night for injury to a child. They have lost custody for 3 months. What's next for us?

Humble, TX |

Step dad was videoed by neighbors running my sons ages 5 & 10 around front yard shooting them with an airsoft pistol. This is second time its happened. This is third time cps has been involved. Cps is doing a home visit tomorrow with my mom an dad and my boys will be there for next 90 days at least. Boys have been hit with a belt hard enough toleave 3 bruises, had mouth washed out with soap, been shot at, youngest was stabbed by step dad with a fork at dinner like 18 months ago. Cops an cps have been called o n all of it. Yet cps talks to me last an for only 10-15 mins. What's usually the next step or progression? I could not tale em with me because i have a criminal history of misdemeanors on my record that are all 12 years old or older. Will that keep me from getting custody?

Attorney Answers 3


You need to file a Petition to Modify seeking custody, and get an immediate hearing. I don't see why your criminal history is relevant.

This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You need to hire a private lawyer to represent you. Look on this website and hire one immediately.

Quit fooling around with CPS. They don't want you to hire an attorney!

Fran Brochstein has over 20 years legal experience & enjoys educating the public about Texas laws. She is a full-time family law mediator in the Houston area. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a personal consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week - her personal cell phone.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


get a good texas lawyer for this one.

Mark as helpful

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics