My Ex is demanding the Forensic Evaluator do Extra Work - Home Visits

New York, NY |

The Forensic Evaluator estimated 40 hours of work to complete his evaluation. But now because I wouldn't accept a settlement offer without changes My Ex is using home visit by the evaluator to harass me. The Evaluator admitted that he normally doesn't do "home visits" but is doing this on the insistence of my Wife. My Wife told me she would do this to harass me and cut off my being allowed to see the children. She is convinced that If I don't get to see them she will get some sort of child support. This even though she is monied spouse and I was the one who was at home taking care of the children,

If I say no home visits the forensic guy will be ticked off because that is an extra $2000 he won't get. If I say yes I am inviting this guy into my house to make who knows what accusations,

I'd suggest to write the evaluator an e-mail & ask him again why this "home visit" is necessary. If he puts in writing that he's only doing it to placate your wife, then this may be seen as a form of bias & may either result in his/her removal or for the Judge to disregard his/her evaluation. Speak to your attorney, though, before doing anything. If you're looking for a 2d opinion - or you don't have an attorney - then schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

2. If you don't already have an attorney, now is definitely the time to get one and have them advise you because the information you seek requires a full evaluation of your case. If you do have an attorney, then your best course of action is to follow their advice.

All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

3. I love when my adversary demands forensics...they are usually fishing expeditions and backfire! Let them do it...the person so insistent usually ends up being dissatisfied with the report and...if it goes against you your attorney can usually refute the findings anyway.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

4. These typically don't go well for them, so your lawyer will likely not object

Civil rights topics