Skip to main content

My Ex has Leaked Court Divorce Custody Documents to The Media. What recourse Do I have?

New York, NY |

Recently a certain Media outlet posted my entire divorce custody decision from 1992 online.

I thought that New York State sealed these documents. Is there a term on that, do they become public record and available to the public at a certain time?

The leak of these documents could be construed as damaging to my reputation and harmful to potential business relationships. Is the publishing of them or the giving them to the media actionable in any way?

Attorney Answers 3


I suggest that you contact your New York divorce attorney and pose these questions to him or her. That same attorney may have some suggestions as to how you can minimize the damage.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You need to talk with your divorce attorney ASAP.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Best bet is to call your divorce attorney to discuss options.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics