My employer wants me to sign a paper giving them the rights to my medical info do i have to by law?

Asked 6 months ago - Palmer, MA

I have a doctors note that states that i can't work more that 40 hours a week and they want to see my med info from my doctor.

1. Erik Hammarlund

3

Answered . As noted elsewhere, you should speak to an employment attorney ASAP.

The general response is "probably, if you want them to address the issue." Think of it this way:

You can keep your information private. You can demand that your employer accommodate your medical conditions, if you'd like.

But you can't generally do both, because they are allowed (or required) to understand your condition in order to accommodate you.

Go see a lawyer.

2. Michael A. Satterwhite

Answered . They need you to sign the paper in order to obtain the records under HIPAA laws. 40 hours are a typical work week. Are they forcing overtime on you?