My employer wants me to sign a paper giving them the rights to my medical info do i have to by law?

Palmer, MA |

I have a doctors note that states that i can't work more that 40 hours a week and they want to see my med info from my doctor.

As noted elsewhere, you should speak to an employment attorney ASAP.

The general response is "probably, if you want them to address the issue." Think of it this way:

You can keep your information private. You can demand that your employer accommodate your medical conditions, if you'd like.

But you can't generally do both, because they are allowed (or required) to understand your condition in order to accommodate you.

Go see a lawyer.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

They need you to sign the paper in order to obtain the records under HIPAA laws. 40 hours are a typical work week. Are they forcing overtime on you?

The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Attorney Satterwhite invites you to call or e-mail for more information, however, visiting his website or contacting him does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send information that may be considered privileged or confidential prior to establishing an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Employment