My employer wants me to sign a paper giving them the rights to my medical info do i have to by law?

Asked 6 months ago - Palmer, MA

I have a doctors note that states that i can't work more that 40 hours a week and they want to see my med info from my doctor.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Erik Hammarlund

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As noted elsewhere, you should speak to an employment attorney ASAP.

    The general response is "probably, if you want them to address the issue." Think of it this way:

    You can keep your information private. You can demand that your employer accommodate your medical conditions, if you'd like.

    But you can't generally do both, because they are allowed (or required) to understand your condition in order to accommodate you.

    Go see a lawyer.

    Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask... more
  2. Michael A. Satterwhite

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . They need you to sign the paper in order to obtain the records under HIPAA laws. 40 hours are a typical work week. Are they forcing overtime on you?

    The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Attorney Satterwhite invites you to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,905 answers this week

2,989 attorneys answering