My employer violated overtime and meal break under California law. What are labor code 201, 204, labor code 205 and labor 210?

Asked 10 months ago - Alhambra, CA

I plan to seek a lawyer soon for my claims. I like to educate myself first before talking to one. Is there a web site I can check out what other violations/penalties I am entitle too for this claims. One of my co worker hired an attorney who is not in the employment field and it was a mistake. My co workers and I are still asking questions and soon we will decide how to proceed this before we hire an attorney or attorneys on our claims. I want to make sure when I am ready to claim, I ask the right questions and I know I am talking to a knowledgeable lawyer knowe his area of the law. We are all keeping our records and doing our research. Thank you.

1. Arkady Igor Itkin

Pro

7

1

Answered . Hello,

Instead of doing your own research and wondering whether your conclusions are correct, you are better off finding an experienced, reputable employment attorney specializing in wage/hour law, who is located in your area, and who can address your questions. Most claims are very similar and there aren't that many laws that apply to the typical overtime and unpaid wages issues, so finding an attorney who can guide you through shouldn't be very difficult.

Thanks,

Arkady Itkin

2. Neil Pedersen

6

Answered . This post looks a lot like several posted this week already. The answers have been consistent and comprehensive. If you are not that same poster, I apologize, but if you are the same person, I have once already indicated that you are stretching the patience of those of us who donate time to help the public on this site, and it is now getting downright ridiculous to ask the same question, in the same way, five or six times in a five day span. You will get no different answers than you have in the last week from those on this site.

A simple Google search using terms like overtime, meal and break periods, wage and hour and the like will get you upwards of 100 sites where attorneys and others provide the kind of information you seek. The DLSE also has an outstanding web site.

3. Daniel Michael Holzman

Pro

5

1

Answered . There are a lot of websites you can find and you can type in the specific labor code you want to do research on. I would try those websites and read up on any of the codes you think are important for your case.

Best of luck.

4. Kristine S Karila

5

1

Answered . You can Google those provisions of the Labor Code if you want to try to learn the law. Overtime and meal/break claims provide that the employer shall pay one hour of pay for each meal and break violation. Overtime violations provide payment of the overtime not paid plus 10% interest plus up to 30 day's waiting time penalties if willfully withheld plus attorneys' fees. The statute of limitations is 3 years and 4 if your attorney alleges an unlawful business practice claim in addition to the other claims.