Skip to main content

My employer shows a different total than thee debtor by a difference of 4000 when my employer finishes paying what happens then?

Torrance, CA |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

My judgement started at 17,800 my employer shows by their records that my bal is 2000 but the debtor shows 6000 and some change and claims the the sheriffs office is behind by 3 -4 months.

Attorney Answers 3


I assume that you are the judgment-debtor, that it is your employer that is honoring a garnishment, and that the judgment-creditor is showing a greater balance than your employer.

This difference could be explained if your employer is not adding interest to the judgment amount and the judgment-creditor is adding interest. You need to consult with a local attorney that is familiar with the how judgments accrue interest in your state. It will then be a simple matter of math to determine the correct remaining balance.

Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship. Please contact 770 427 5600 or 404 373 1970, if you wish to discuss your situation further. Skaar & Feagle, LLP accepts select consumer rights cases. These cases include, but are not limited to, cases of abusive and unlawful collection activity, debt defense, credit reporting of false or obsolete (old) information, high interest lenders (title pawns, payday loans), debt management plans, and fraud or unfair practices in the sale and financing of automobiles.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Are you asking about a garnishment? Is it just me or is this question confusing? You are a creditor? Are you collecting on a judgment or you owe? Please clarify this question. Are you asking what happens if your employer stops garnishing your wages and has a different total amount? So the garnishment will be finished early and there will be more owing or vice versa. I cannot make out what you are asking. Thanks!

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



i got an answer with my original question!


The sheriff's department will continue to collect money until the total amount due listed on the writ of execution, plus post-writ interest, plus sheriff's fees has been fully paid. If you think there's a discrepancy, you can ask the sheriff to provide you with a full accounting.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics