My employer sent me a W2 with a gross income $8000 more than what I actually was paid. How do I pay the correct taxes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monrovia, CA

My employer is shady and refuses to correct it. Do I need a lawyer?

1. Joel M. Busch

4

Answered . There is actually a formal W-2 correction complaint protocol with the IRS where the Service will actually investigate the matter with the employer after getting certain information from you.

For details, see: http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQ...

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

3

Answered . I am not a tax attorney so please check the following with a tax attorney, another tax professional or the IRS. I provide the following response as practical information, not legal advice.

Try starting with a certified letter to the employer (keep two copies for yourself) informing it of the error and demanding it immediately provide you with a corrected W-2. Give the employer a date by which it must provide the corrected W-2. If it does not do so, file your taxes using the amount that should have been on the W-2, attach a letter of explanation (keep a copy for yourself) and attach one copy of the certified letter you sent the employer.

3. Bruce Givner

3

Answered . Attach the W2 to your return and include an explanation of the mistake.

4. Christopher Michael Larson

3

Answered . Put the amount you actually received on your return. Include the W-2 with a letter explaining your situation. Also state that you are willing to back it up with your bank statements if that is the case and keep those handy.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Bellevue Tax Lawyer
    Everett Tax Lawyer
    Federal Way Tax Lawyer
    Issaquah Tax Lawyer
    Offer In Compromise Seattle
    Employment Tax Attorney
    Seattle Tax Audit Lawyer
    IRS Wage Garnishment Attorney
    IRS Collections Attorney
    Sales Tax Audit Lawyer
    Tax Court Lawyer
    Innocent Spouse Relief Lawyer
    Business Tax Lawyer Everett
    IRS Tax Penalties Lawyer Seattle
    Unfiled Tax Returns
    IRS Tax Help Everett