My employer paid me half cash and half taxable check is that illegal

Asked almost 3 years ago - Sarasota, FL

they dont give me breaks or overtime i just want to know if this is wrong?

1. Scott M. Behren

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Not required to give you breaks. They are required to pay overtime if you work over 40 hours is a week. If they are paying half cash they are probably not paying federal and state payroll taxes which is also illegal. You might want to report them to the U.S. Department of Labor or go to a wage and hour lawyer. Feel free to contact my office if you wish. You can also check our our employee rights blog at www.takethisjobnshoveitblog.com.

2. Stuart M. Address

Pro

Answered . Generally, an employer is not required to provide breaks. As for overtime, it depends on whether you are properly an non-exempt employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act, which provided for payment of minimum wages and overtime. If you are non-exempt, then you are entitled to time and one-half for all hours worked in any given week over 40. If the employer violates this provision, it could be liable for double damages plus attorneys fees and costs. You should likely contact an attorney promptly as the statute of limitations on overtime claims permits you go to back 2 years, 3 years if the failure to pay overtime is determined to have been a wilful violation.