My employer is selling his business and I still have 2 weeks of paid vacation left, is he entitled to pay me my vacation?

Eau Claire, WI |

I live in Wisconsin so I don't know the laws. I also signed a contract with the employer saying I'm getting 2 weeks paid vacation.

I searched but was unable to find any reference to accrued vacation pay. In most states the rule is that if the employer promises vacation pay, he must accrue it and it is owed to the employee, just like wages. When a business is sold the buyer may take over contractual obligations, or he may not. I think you should ask your employer now what he intends to do about it. If he does not promise again that it will be paid, you should plan to file a wage and hours complaint with the labor standards bureau in WI.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business