My employer is not abiding by the contract that I signed.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I started working for my employer about 2 years ago. When i signed my contract it states that full time and part time are eligible for pay raises once that period comes. That is what is stated in my contract that I signed. They recently gave out raises, but I asked why i did not get a raise, and the answer was because I work part time. Is this legal?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could sue, but unlikely to win unless you are a member of a union or the contract specifies the amount of your raise or there is discrimination of a protected class. Maybe time to look for a new job, they may be sending you a message that you are not the rght person. You can also speak soth your employer about your job performance and if and when you will get a raise and how much?

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is a contract, and they breached it, you might have a legal action. However, what are your damages? The most important reason would be: why do they do it to you? Maybe, it's a form of discrimination...

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless you were discriminated against then you have no claim for breach of contract because saying you are "eligible" for a raise means there are no guarantees you will get one-- still completely discretionary by the employer in this situation.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Employment forms

Employment forms are the documents and forms used in the workplace to determine eligibility for work, pay wages and benefits, arrange tax withholding, and more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,269 answers this week

3,860 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,269 answers this week

3,860 attorneys answering