My employer is not abiding by the contract that I signed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I started working for my employer about 2 years ago. When i signed my contract it states that full time and part time are eligible for pay raises once that period comes. That is what is stated in my contract that I signed. They recently gave out raises, but I asked why i did not get a raise, and the answer was because I work part time. Is this legal?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

6

Answered . You could sue, but unlikely to win unless you are a member of a union or the contract specifies the amount of your raise or there is discrimination of a protected class. Maybe time to look for a new job, they may be sending you a message that you are not the rght person. You can also speak soth your employer about your job performance and if and when you will get a raise and how much?

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

2

Answered . If there is a contract, and they breached it, you might have a legal action. However, what are your damages? The most important reason would be: why do they do it to you? Maybe, it's a form of discrimination...

3. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . Unless you were discriminated against then you have no claim for breach of contract because saying you are "eligible" for a raise means there are no guarantees you will get one-- still completely discretionary by the employer in this situation.