My employer is letting co-workers discriminate against me. Do I have a case against them and should I go to the EEOC?

Marietta, GA |

I am a gay male that works in an office that is 90% women. The women do not want to sit next to me and I have heard them, (supervisors included), talking about my sexual orientation. When new people were hired, they were sitting next to me the first day. Then they were suddenly moved and I'm sitting alone again. Everyone was teasing that the new people moved because no one wanted to sit next to me. I am very depressed and going to human resources about it but I want to take a cause of action. They are making me feel inferior and it is affecting my work performance.

You may have a cause of action for hostile work environment. Unfortunately, not every state prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation (I am not sure where GA stands on this issue). The federal law (which is where the EEOC operates) is Title VII. Title VII does not explicitly prohibit sexual orientation discrimination, although some cases have extended Title VII's prohibition against gender discrimination to "gender role" type discrimination to sexual orientation cases.

Because sexual orientation discrimination is a fast developing area of the law, I strongly encourage you to speak to an employment attorney admitted to practice in GA,

Talk with a local attorney, but be realistic here. It is not your employer who is acting badly but your coworkers --- and it can be difficult for the employer to effectively compel gracious and kind behavior by other employees. The law recognizes this difficulty.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.