Skip to main content

My employer is attempting to change my pay from Salary to hourly and remove all paid days off. Can she go against our agreement?

Caledonia, MI |

I have a written offer. We renegotiated through email. The board that governs her had me sign a form that says it is not a contract and what I will make biweekly. It doesn't state all of the details we agreed on in email. I am a teacher and she is trying now not to pay me even though I spread my salary out for 12 months. Can she do that without having to pay me for the income I would have made this year had I not had my pay spread over 12 months? It's $7 more an hour.
She also called and asked me if I was a Christian because the board was concerned about it. Is that discrimination?
If I were to sign a contract does it mean nothing? She says what we agreed on, even though in writing, means nothing.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I am a little confused about your question. In the beginning sentence you indicate that you signed a form that says its not a contract. If you signed a contract that says it is not a contract then you do not have a contract. They can change your compensation plan but not regarding earned compensation. I would contact the Michigan Dept. of Wage and hour to see if they can help. (517)322-1825

    Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

  2. I would consult an attorney in your area that specializes in employment law. He/she will be able to explain your wage and/or contract rights to you. Whether or not you are Christian should not factor in to how you are paid pursuant to applicable state laws.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics