My employer is acknowledging me that it is now a Federal employer, and that I need to sign some documents to confirm that!

Asked 5 months ago - San Jose, CA

The documents are generated only online access, no paper documents, why should I sign documents that confirm my acknowledgement that the employer is a Federal employer, what does that mean or pertain?

1. Randy Jay Harvey

Pro

2

Answered . Well it could be very good news regarding the added rights and potentially increased salary. You do not state what type of work the company does. If it is working on government projects then you may possibly be paid the higher prevailing wage. Further, if your employer is a federal employer it is likely that you will obtain additional rights to due process and for cause discharge. Speak with a CA employment lawyer to discuss further what your new rights may be. You could also call the Department of Fair Employment and Housing for information.
    Best of luck.

2. John Noah Kitta

Answered . It sounds as if these are standard form documents that are required by the Government for your employer to have the ability to contract and do business with them. I do not believe there are any secrecy issues, so why don't you pull up the document online and have an attorney in your area review the same and provide you with a legal opinion after having an opportunity to review the contents.

3. Spencer Caswell Young

Answered . You should sign documents confirming that the employer is a federal employer if you want to keep your job and get paid. If you need help doing that, or you are unclear about what the documents say, contact an attorney here www.celaweb.org and see if they can help you for an hourly fee.

4. Kevin Robert Allen

Answered . Without seeing the documents, we can't really advise you on what their effect might be. As mentioned by other contributors, if your employer contracts to do business for government, then you could be entitled to a higher minimum wage - referred to as the "prevailing wage" for each hour worked.