Skip to main content

My employer is acknowledging me that it is now a Federal employer, and that I need to sign some documents to confirm that!

San Jose, CA |

The documents are generated only online access, no paper documents, why should I sign documents that confirm my acknowledgement that the employer is a Federal employer, what does that mean or pertain?

Attorney Answers 4


Well it could be very good news regarding the added rights and potentially increased salary. You do not state what type of work the company does. If it is working on government projects then you may possibly be paid the higher prevailing wage. Further, if your employer is a federal employer it is likely that you will obtain additional rights to due process and for cause discharge. Speak with a CA employment lawyer to discuss further what your new rights may be. You could also call the Department of Fair Employment and Housing for information.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It sounds as if these are standard form documents that are required by the Government for your employer to have the ability to contract and do business with them. I do not believe there are any secrecy issues, so why don't you pull up the document online and have an attorney in your area review the same and provide you with a legal opinion after having an opportunity to review the contents.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Mark as helpful


You should sign documents confirming that the employer is a federal employer if you want to keep your job and get paid. If you need help doing that, or you are unclear about what the documents say, contact an attorney here and see if they can help you for an hourly fee.

Mark as helpful


Without seeing the documents, we can't really advise you on what their effect might be. As mentioned by other contributors, if your employer contracts to do business for government, then you could be entitled to a higher minimum wage - referred to as the "prevailing wage" for each hour worked.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics