My employer has been paying for my lunch hour for past 2 years. Now he wants to stop. Is that ok?

My employer has been paying for my lunch hour for past 2 years. It was very nice of him of course but now he stopped. Did the employer create some kind of expectation and isn't he stuck with paying us? Also I found out that he didn't pay for some of my overtime. But if I were to count all the hours that my employer paid for my lunch hours, I was, in fact, overpaid. Could I still ask for my unpaid overtime to my employer?

1. Unless you have an express agreement to the contrary, you are an at will employee. As an at will employee your employer can change the terms and conditions of your employment at any time and for any lawful reason. That means the employer can decide to not pay you for your lunch. There is no theory that would allow you as an at will employee to force the employer to pay for your lunch break.

As to the overtime, I think you would have a difficult time proving the right to overtime if, when you subtract the hour of time you were paid for lunch, the overall work you performed was less than eight hours.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

2. Employers are not required to pay employees for their lunch breaks, unless the employee is not permitted to have an uninterrupted break from work for at least 30 minutes. But if the pay is gratuitous, the employer has the right to stop this benefit at any time. Overtime is a completely separate issue. Employers must pay non-exempt employees overtime premiums for all hours worked in excess of 8 in a workday and 40 in a workweek. Legally speaking, the employer would not be able to offset any unpaid overtime due because it generously paid for your lunch break. But sometimes, you have to look at the bigger picture. You will have to decide whether the amount the employer may owe is worth the probability of alienating the people you work for due to its ending a fringe benefit.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

3. Assuming you are an at will employee, your employer can change your pay on a prospective or going forward basis.

Your employer is not obligated to pay for your lunch and can stop at anytime. Further, if your employer does not provide a thirty minute uninterrupted meal break and you are a non-exempt employee, then you would be entitled to one (1) hour of pay as a penalty.

Finally, as for the overtime, if you work more than eight (8) hours per day or over forty (40) hours per week, you would be entitled to overtime. I agree with my collegues that you should consider that an overtime claim may sour your relationship with your employer for a relatively small benefit, especially an employer that has been particulatly generous. The statute of limitations would be four (4) years and you may wish to wait until after you leave to pursue such as claim.

4. If you are an at will employee, the employer may change the terms of your employment at any time. The amount due to you for overtime is a separate thing. Has he refused to pay the amount owed to you for overtime?

Transmission of this post is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. This post is offered only for general informational and educational purposes. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in this post without first seeking the advice of an attorney. If you contact us through this website or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The transmission of an email request for information does not create an attorney-client relationship and you should not send us via email any information or facts relating to your legal problem or question. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision, and should not be based solely upon written information about qualifications and experience.

5. Absent a contract between your employer and yourself which states that you are entitled to paid lunch breaks it is most likely a lawful action made by your employer made as a necessary business decision. Unless you are forced to work through your lunch breaks and the payment was made as a way of compensating you for your missed breaks (a situation to which you must have consented consented) the action is likely lawful and you will not have a valid claim for lost wages or unpaid meal breaks.