My employer gave me disability paper work to have a doctor sign, but I was injured on the job. What should I do ?

Patchogue, NY |

4-5 months ago I started getting a bad rash on my feet that has spread and is infected. I work at a warehouse, in which my job duties include me wearing rubber boats, a plastic protective suit, latex gloves, goggles, hard hat ect. There is no heat, or a/c or controlled tempature at my job. I sweat non stop for 8 hours a day wearing all the gear I have to. I work with dangerous chemicals as well, sulfuric acid, caustic soda, nitric acid ect. After telling employer of symptoms I was sent to see their company doctor who gave me medicine that didnt work. Last week I finally went to the ER as I had swelling in my ankel and around the infected rash, and was told I have contact dermatitis. My job gave me paper work for disability benefits, but shouldnt I be getting workers comp? Please help

Maybe. Dermatitis may or may not be compensable in your state. Check with a local workers's compensation lawyer.

Im in NY , i tried looking it up online but didnt find much about it. Maybe you know if its compensable in NY?

Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

I don't know.

Apply for the Disability; it will probably ask if the condition is work-related. If you say yes and apply for WC, they can sort it out without you losing income in the short term.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

the thing is.. my employer filled out the paper work themselves, and from what I read ..it states on the bottom of the paper work, misrepresentation or any false claims is punishable. Now with what you said, "it will probably ask if the condition is work related" my employer checked the box NO for that section of the papers. They are up to something and I just dont know or want to screw myself.

George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV

Regardless of who fills out a form, your signature means that you own it. Tell the Employer to sign it, or give you a fresh form.

Dear Madam or Sir in Patchogue:

Download a form C-3 from the Workers Compensation Board web site and file a workers' compensation claim with a short cover letter, with a cc: to your Employer. At your job, there should be a posting with the name, address and policy number of your Employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier; usually it is in a public area. Send a cc: to the Carrier too.

Make certain your doctor fills out a C-4 form which states the condition is causally related to your occupation. Give him the particulars for the insurance company and he will file with them and with the WCB. If he gives you a copy of the report, you can enclose that with your C-3.

Good Luck

Leonard Feld

The foregoing is based on the little information provided; additional facts may change the comments given.