Skip to main content

My employer gave me a fraudulent check that overdrew my bank account. What kind of lawyer should I contact in order sue ?

Elk Grove, CA |

I responded to a craigslist ad for a Work at Home position. I looked up the business website and it seemed legit. I applied and was hired after about a month. My employer sent me a payroll check for reimbursement of equipment to work at home. After depositing the check into my bank account, it was declared fraudulent and overdrew my back account leaving me in debt. I had no absolute idea that it was fraudulent. I believe that I have been scammed. I still have the contact information from the company as well as all correspondence between us and I am still in possession of the fraudulent check.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This sounds like a scam. Call the police. You have been the victim of a crime.

It is highly unlikely you will get an attorney to take this case because the possibility of collecting is very low. Criminals like this do not have assets to collect against. Therefore, unless you want to pay an attorney by the hour to prosecute a claim, you will not have much of a remedy, unless the police are willing to track this person down and the DA prosecutes. Then, you might get a recovery as part of the criminal restitution process.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


Please see answers to your other, identical question.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Sorry but you are a victim of fraud. You can sue in the civil court and file criminal charges.
You have numerous causes of action and I will suggest to take the change since banks and authorities consider that innocent people will try to protect themselves and collect from the criminals.
You need to immediately report them at graigs list...If they send you a check you provide them also with personal info in order to get the job.You have issues not only of fraud but also with potential Identity theft.
I will suggest to act ASAP. Some of us in avvo including me are fraud examiner (CFEs) and we are dealing with issues like yours. Call me I can help you

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer