My employer gave me a fraudulent check that overdrew my bank account. What kind of lawyer should I contact in order sue ?

Asked 10 months ago - Elk Grove, CA

I responded to a craigslist ad for a Work at Home position. I looked up the business website and it seemed legit. I applied and was hired after about a month. My employer sent me a payroll check for reimbursement of equipment to work at home. After depositing the check into my bank account, it was declared fraudulent and overdrew my back account leaving me in debt. I had no absolute idea that it was fraudulent. I believe that I have been scammed. I still have the contact information from the company as well as all correspondence between us and I am still in possession of the fraudulent check.

1. Neil Pedersen

Answered . This sounds like a scam. Call the police. You have been the victim of a crime.

It is highly unlikely you will get an attorney to take this case because the possibility of collecting is very low. Criminals like this do not have assets to collect against. Therefore, unless you want to pay an attorney by the hour to prosecute a claim, you will not have much of a remedy, unless the police are willing to track this person down and the DA prosecutes. Then, you might get a recovery as part of the criminal restitution process.

Good luck to you.

2. Dana Howard Shultz

Answered . Please see answers to your other, identical question.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

Answered . Sorry but you are a victim of fraud. You can sue in the civil court and file criminal charges.
    You have numerous causes of action and I will suggest to take the change since banks and authorities consider that innocent people will try to protect themselves and collect from the criminals.
    You need to immediately report them at graigs list...If they send you a check you provide them also with personal info in order to get the job.You have issues not only of fraud but also with potential Identity theft.
    I will suggest to act ASAP. Some of us in avvo including me are fraud examiner (CFEs) and we are dealing with issues like yours. Call me I can help you