My employer asking my SSN for 1099? But I don't want to give my personal info to them because they hire illegal immigrants

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am international student and graduated in 2011. I am still under my post-completion status. Since I've graduated I worked for two different companies. First one was hotel reception but I didn't directly hired by the HOTEL, I was hired by an agency( the hotel was paying agency). In time, the agency was charging 2 dollars from my salary but I didn't pay any taxes. I received checks from an agency bi weekly and I worked 30 hours per week at the hotel. Second one was regular company and I worked under W-2.. So, I was paying taxes which was okay but a few days ago the agency called me and asked my SSN for 1099. Since, I was paid by the hour I must not expect 1099. Am I correct? We should have fill I-9 or W2 ?
Plus, the agency hire people who are illegal immigrants.

The agency didn't file any paper form with me.

1. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . You should not expect to be offered any employment if you refuse to provide a social security number. If you have earned income and not declared it for taxes, you should expect problems with your immigration to the U.S.

2. Veronica Tunitsky

5

Answered . If you want to work and get paid you're supposed to provide proof of being authorized to do so. If you don't trust the employer don't work for them.

3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

4

Answered . Employers need your social security number so that they can do proper reporting with the IRS for tax purposes. The fact that they hire illegals has nothing to do with compliance with respect to you. There are specific requirements to be a 1099 independent contractor.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Visit any CPA office and review your wage payment structure with a professional accountant to make a correct decision. Also, an allegation that any agency hires illegal immigrants has nothing to do with the fact that you must submit your correct Social Security number to the agency for 1099 form if you worked in a capacity of an independent contractor for that fiscal year.