My EEOC appeal petition was denied. can I file writ pro se at the U.S. Supreme Court, unusual case, any pro bono lawyers?

Asked 8 months ago - Washington, DC

my appeal petition was denied. can I file writ pro se at the U.S. Supreme Court, how long do I have, does the count start on the date of the appeal dismissal or the day after. if that date falls on a weekend or federal holiday, is the deadline the first workday before or after the calendar deadline. this is an unusual case, will need lawyer to work with law enforcement abuse of discretion issue (corruption and brutality surrounding first amendment rights federal complaint) independently and as part of this EEOC writ. if you can only do one or the other, still need it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James M Henderson Sr.

    Contributor Level 12


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I am including a link below to the Rules of the Supreme Court. Rule 13 provides a 90 day time limit for filing a petition for a writ of certiorari. Rule 30 excludes the day of the event from which relief is being sought, so you do NOT count the date of the appeals court decision. Also you include all intervening Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays, except where the last day of the 90 day period FALLS on one of them.

    Now, on a more serious point:

    You need legal counsel to have your best chance of review at the Supreme Court. But even with legal counsel, the chances of any particular petition being granted are exceedingly small. Read Rule 10 and give some thought to the points made there: the Court's principal task is bringing uniformity to federal decisional law and uniformity to interpretation and application of federal laws, regulations and the US Constitution.

    This answer is not a substitute for consulting with and retaining the services of an attorney for your legal needs.... more
  2. Leizer Z Goldsmith


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Are you saying that you were litigating pro se at one of the U.S. Court of Appeal and lost? If so, you might first consider seeking rehearing or rehearing en banc. Though those are difficult paths, taking a pro se employment case to the U.S. S. Ct. is an extremely long shot. You should consult with counsel at this point as it sounds like time and options may be running out on your case.

    This is not formal legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,953 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,953 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering