My Duties VS Lawyers Duties

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I hired an attorney three weeks ago. My truck is still in storage, not an auto shop.

From my understanding, my attorney was supposed to do all the contacting / talking. He told me so during our initial meeting.

However, he hasn't had the adjusters to come out to look at my truck yet, he hasn't had my truck moved to an auto shop or anything yet (it's been three weeks).

Someone on another website just told me that I am supposed to take care of these things, but my attorney told me not to talk to ANYONE, because clients often say the wrong things. He specifically said: "Whenever anyone calls you, tell them to call your attorney." Nothing else.

I'm lost. Should I be contacting the insurance comp., getting my truck moved to an auto shop, getting it fixed etc. or is this the attorney job?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

18

1

Answered . I think you should speak with your attorney and get on the same page with him as to who is doing what.

2. Hee Joong Kim

12

1

Answered . You need to speak with your attorney and/or look at your attorney-client agreement. A lot of personal injury attorneys do not represent their clients in the property damage aspect of their claim. If that is the case, the attorney should advise the insurance company to deal with you directly regarding the property damage aspect. However, ALL attorneys will tell you not to talk to anyone, including your own insurance company.

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

10

Answered . Many clients expect instant solutions to problems when they hire an attorney. However, the world doesn't work that way. Often, it takes several weeks or even months to accomplish seemingly simple things. Three weeks is not a long time in a situation like this---you need to schedule another meeting with your attorney and this time, make sure you have an understanding of the time frames in which you can expect various tasks to be accomplished. As my colleague notes, you and your attorney need to be on the same page---but I would add that you need to have reasonable expectations. Your attorney probably has many other cases, and the law moves much more slowly than most people realize.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

11

1

Answered . Yes follow Mr. Rothstein's words of wisdom. Speak with the only person that can answer this question, your attorney.

Pro

11

Answered . You have an attorney, so you should call to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. David J. McCormick

10

1

Answered . You really need to schedule a meeting with your attorney and find out what is going on and why.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

10

Answered . You should be talking face to face with your attorney to straighten out any misunderstandings.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Briny Adam Woods

9

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys' responses. Simply communicate with your attorney to clarify your roles. Good luck!

9. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

8

Answered . You need to contact your attorney directly with your concerns.