My dui case shows up when I google my name. It shows up in one of the police briefof a newspaper website. Can anythin be done?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Norristown, PA

I was charged with DUI back in October 2011 in Pennsylvania. I have been on ARD program ever since. My concern is that my full name, address, details of the case show up on the very first page when my name is googled. This is concerning as this would probably harm my career and relationships in the future.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ellis B. Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately it is a public record and they are allowed to publish. If you filed for expungement, the official record has been destroyed. The internet, however, is a different story. You may want to look into a company that deals with restoring your image online. They may be able to plant some good stories on the internet to bury the bad ones.
    Good luck

  2. Anthony Gil

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, even if the court record is expunged, the information contained in the initial police report and subsequent newspaper article were public records prior to an expungement order. Your best bet is to attempt to sue the newspaper to get the information taken down. Even then, the newspaper will claim First Amendment privilege.

    Anthony Gil, Esquire
    Law Office of Anthony Gil
    Two Penn Center, Suite 900
    15th and JFK Blvd.
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (215) 840-4704
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( ) ----------------------------------------

    ║ Anthony Gil, Esq. ║ (215) 840-4704 ║ ║ ║ The answers I provide are... more
  3. Geoffrey David Hood


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Klein. The information is public record and there is nothing to prevent the newspaper from printing an article about it. Your best course of action maybe to look into hiring a service specializing in restoring your online reputation.

    The above is a general answer but should not be considered specific legal advice for your case. If you would... more
  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is currently public record. Once you have finished the ARD you may want to contact the newspaper and request that it be removed from the Internet or revised.

    You may want to talk with your DUI lawyer.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,180 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,180 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering