My drug addict father petitioned to have our sons last name changed. He almost 3 years old and he just started catching up on CS

Worden, IL |

We have not spoken or seen each other for over half of his life, and left me a week into my pregnancy. He has been a drug addict and I have cared for the child 100 percent. He has always been between 1 and 2 thousand behind in CS. We also have police reports and texts to prove. Please tell me this is not possible to change his last name to his when he has hardly ever been apart of his life. He also claims he is going to take my son from me...this cannot be possible?

your father or your child's father?
\
this is the man you chose to be the father of your child. if he was an addict, you made a bad choice.

as to the name change, the child's father has to convince a judge that the name change will be in the best interest of the child. hard to do with a three year old.

we do not have enough facts to tell you if the father can take the child from you. go see a lawyer about that.

is this man legally the father? he must be if there is a child supt. order.

again, you chose him. we did not. we cannot make him into a perfect dad now or ever, however you define perfect.

Clearly you are right in that he was a bad choice, but he was not an addict when I met him. I was gullible but yes he is legally the father of our child. I dont understand why your making such an opinion when I never asked you to turn him into a perfect dad, I dont want him to be apart of his life whatsoever.

Thank you captain obvious for not making a good choice, like many girls now adays. I dont like your response, I'll look for other mature responses

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

but if he is the dad, he will be part of the life of his and your child. you cannot cut him out entirely unless someone else adopts the child. go see a lawyer. take all your court papers.

Child support arrearages have no bearing on name change. The father has to prove it's in the child's best interest that his name be changes. You must defend this action in court. Although you have many good defenses, the best way to present you case is to be represented by an attorney. Likewise, it is highly unlikely that the father can take your child from you but again - be prepared with a lawyer in case he files for custody.

I am working on a attourney now. We are looking at the top custody lawyers possible, we are not worried about the cost. He has only seen him a hand ful of times and only threatens me. I just learned that I need to document and have started doing so. There is such great detail to this situation with him but I wont broadcast. Thank you for your response.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Best wishes to you.

Child custody topics