My domestic partner died recently with no will and the daughter came to our apt. we shared broke in and took many things.

85031 |

she was given power of attorney at the hospital and before he died which was over a month later herself and her mother broke into our apt. and took many things that we shared together as well as destroying my things and taking my sons property as well. Police would not let me charge her with breaking and entering they only took an incident report .this is a devastating loss for me how can i bring this to justice and least be compensated for my loss?

I am sorry for your loss. I would hire counsel and demand return of personal items as well as damages for items that were destroyed. Depending on the response and the amount of loss you could file a civil complaint. Finally, if you have insurance, you submit a claim.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

2. This sounds like something to be taken-up with the supervisors at the police department, as well as reporting to your insurance company. Sorry for your loss and this aggravation.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS INTENDED AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE RELIED UPON AS SUCH, AND IS NOT INTENDED TO ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL QUESTION, CONSULT WITH AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY.

3. Demand letter; insurance claim;law suit are the most common options.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Wills and estates topics