My dog was severely injured in a vicious dog attack and my husband had some bite marks on his hands. What recourse do I have?

Boca Raton, FL |

Animal control gave them a citation and we have a neighbor’s statement that saw the incident. We and others are in fear of this dog who is always barking and NEVER on a leash and can get out of the patio that they frequently leave him in. If my husband was terribly injured I would have a case, but because my dog was the victim, I can’t do anything. This seems wrong. Neighbors have called animal care to report that the dog is out, unleashed and viciously barking and they have done nothing. The dog was home quarantined and was seen off a leash and animal care asked if we had photos!! Who is protecting us and our pets? I would like this dog out of the community and I want to let their insurance company know. This animal is a danger to adults, pets, and children. Can someone help?

1. Often homeowners insurance covers this type of accident/injury. Take photos and video of the dog who attacked as well as the injured dog. Take photos of your husband's injuries. Document everything. Get copies of vet bills and medical records, if any. Get everything and bring them to a local personal injury attorney in your area who handles dog bite cases. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

2. I understand it may also depend on where your dog was when he/she was attacked. I suggest that you consult with an animal law attorney.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

3. This case may be covered by home owner's insurance. Contact a personal injury attorney to review your husband's medical records. Make sure to document all medical visits and photos of all bites and injuries. Best of luck.

4. 1/3 of all homeowners insurance claims paid are from dog bites. Retain a dog bite lawyer to investigate.

5. By calling animal services for your county they should give a notice to the owner the dog has dangerous propensities and if the dog bites someone again then the dog has to be put to sleep. Animal services could also put the dog to sleep on the first bite if they believe he is dangerous.

Your husband has a claim against the dog owner and the owner of the property the dog bit you on if the property owner new about the dangerous dog. Calls if I can help. Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at www.LigoriCappyLaw.com. Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com

6. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. You can access my Legal Guides through my profile page.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.