Skip to main content

My dog was killed by the vicious dog next door. I want to sue her for the $800 vet bill.

Chino Valley, AZ |

Animal control can't do anything-judge told me to sue her for the vet bill and maybe she'd get rid of the dog.

Attorney Answers 2


How is it you have a recommendation from a judge if you did not already sue for the damages to your dog - was this in an action brought by the police against the dog's owner?

Document all your expenses, send COPIES of them as part of a demand letter and, when the owner does not pay, sue him/her in small claims court.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


You can file a claim in Small Claims Court for any case valued under $2,500. Small Claims is designed to be friendly to the public and you should be able to navigate the system without an attorney.

Generally speaking, a court can award a judgment. It can also provide other relief, like an order to remove the attacking dog, but this would be pretty rare, especially in Small Claims Court. More typically, the result is a money judgment.

Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide legal advice or establish an attorney/client relationship. Legal advice should obtained by discussing the specific facts of your case with an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics