My dog was killed by my neighbors dogs. Should her dogs be euthanized?

I let my small dog out into our fenced backyard to use the bathroom and my neighbors 2 boxers came under the fence and killed my dog. What is the law in Georgia regarding these situations? I am scared to even go into my backyard or to let my granddaughter out to play. After the dogs killed my dog, they then started snarling at me. The owner had a hard time keeping them under control and had to put them on a leash in order to get them off my property.

Lagrange, GA -

James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

DUI / DWI Attorney - Atlanta, GA

This can only be done through your local Superior Court. Start by filing a police report.

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

Animal Law Attorney - Wrentham, MA

Whether the dogs must be euthanized is a matter of state and local law. I do not practice in GA and cannot comment on that issue.

I can suggest that, if you have not already done so, the attack be reported to the police and animal control at once. Also, document all your damages from the killing for use in a demand letter and, almost certainly, a small claims action against the neighbors.

Note that there will be no pain and suffering, loss of consortium, etc.; only the fair market value of your dog.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Related Advice