My dog was in fight with another dog, am I liable?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roswell, GA

My 11year old son was walking our dog on leash in street. A neighbor asked if our dog bites. My son said "I don't know". The 65 year old said "lets let my my dog sniff your dog". His little dog started barking and running at my dog and the owner dropped his leash. My dog, a golden retriever pulled out of her collar and the two dogs fought in the street. Am I liable or did the neighbor assume responsibility after my son warned him. Also was my dog defend its self from the actions of an aggressive dog?

Neighbors dog had $1,100 of vet bills. He has threatened to sue me.

1. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

Answered . In addition to the advice given above, you should have your son write down exactly what was aaid by whom and what happened, before his memory fades. If there are any other witnesses, it would be helpful to get them to confirm what you say happened.

Based on what you say happened, I dont think you have to worry too much. Unfortunately, the facts could be otherwise or twisted, and that is why you hopefully have insurance.

Pro

6

Answered . Simply report to your insurance company to resolve. 1/3 of all homeowners claims are for dog bites.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

4

Answered . Report the incident to your homeowners insurance AND your personal umbrella insurance carriers, as you may be sued and tehy may have to defend you or pay claims. Also report the incident to the other party's insurance too.

Since you don't mention any injuries to people or the dogs, and I assume if there were any injuries you wouldn't have left that out, no one may have anything to claim against the other, but this is exactly why you have insurance.

4. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Ashman. If there were non injuries to either dog, then there should not be a case. I would recommend that you contact your insurance to legally defend yourself. I hope that you found my response helpful.