My dog was in fight with another dog, am I liable?

Roswell, GA |

My 11year old son was walking our dog on leash in street. A neighbor asked if our dog bites. My son said "I don't know". The 65 year old said "lets let my my dog sniff your dog". His little dog started barking and running at my dog and the owner dropped his leash. My dog, a golden retriever pulled out of her collar and the two dogs fought in the street. Am I liable or did the neighbor assume responsibility after my son warned him. Also was my dog defend its self from the actions of an aggressive dog?

Neighbors dog had $1,100 of vet bills. He has threatened to sue me.

1. Report the incident to your homeowners insurance AND your personal umbrella insurance carriers, as you may be sued and tehy may have to defend you or pay claims. Also report the incident to the other party's insurance too.

Since you don't mention any injuries to people or the dogs, and I assume if there were any injuries you wouldn't have left that out, no one may have anything to claim against the other, but this is exactly why you have insurance.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. In addition to the advice given above, you should have your son write down exactly what was aaid by whom and what happened, before his memory fades. If there are any other witnesses, it would be helpful to get them to confirm what you say happened.

Based on what you say happened, I dont think you have to worry too much. Unfortunately, the facts could be otherwise or twisted, and that is why you hopefully have insurance.

3. I agree with Mr. Ashman. If there were non injuries to either dog, then there should not be a case. I would recommend that you contact your insurance to legally defend yourself. I hope that you found my response helpful.

4. Simply report to your insurance company to resolve. 1/3 of all homeowners claims are for dog bites.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Animal law topics