My Dog was attacked by my neighbor’s dog. We made an agreement to pay me back for the medical bills, but they stoped paying.

League City, TX |

I was outside with my dog for about 2 hour with my dog.I put her down in the grass area in the cul-de-sac. I asked my son (about 5 ft away) to come over to watch the dog while she was peeing. I was about 20 ft away helping my daughter and my neighbors dog RAN out of its garage (never saw this dog anywhere) to my dog and bit it and threw it down. After the attach my neighbor told me she was take care of the vet bill, and to just give her the bill after everything was done. They stop making payments for over 1 month (checks), so I filed a small claims suit and asking for the balance of bill and loss of income from breeding. (i had to spay my dog b/c of the attach but I had a signed contract with a breeder a few weeks before the attack; to breed my dog) I just want to know if I have a case?

Since your dog was attacked by another dog, the owner would be liable for your vet bills, Yes.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Yes. It sounds like you have a case. Bring all the vet bills, the canceled checks or other proof that they were making payments to the small claims hearing.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Yes, you did exactly the correct thing in filing a SMALL CLAIMS LAWSUIT in JP Court against your reckless and negligent neighbor. I have little patience for irresponsible dog owners. In every dog bite I have ever handled, it always turns out that the owner knew or should have known that his dog was aggressive or vicious. Bring all of your vet bills to the trial. Make sure your case is filed in small claims court rather than Justice Court. In Small Claims court the formal rules of evidence and procedure are not used so you can get all of those vet bills in as evidence without having to ask your vet to come testify. Good luck! I am sure you will do well.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

I agree that you MIGHT have a case. Was your dog on your own property? Because it sounds as if your dog was off leash and off your property. To me that makes you at least 50 percent liable for the "attack".

Also keep in mind that winning a judgment and collecting on that judgment are two different things. Even if you win a judgment against your neighbor you may never be able to collect it.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Animal law topics

Recommended articles about Animal law