My dog killed another dog. What now?

Tacoma, WA |

My dog was in our fenced yard. These other dogs belong to the neighbor who lets their dogs run wild. I've asked them to contain their dogs several times because they come to our fence and nip at people, pick fights with the other dogs, get in the trash, etc. I've also called animal control. Today just like I've feared my dog got out of the yard and killed the other dog. Well I assume she did because I can't find a body anywhere.

1. What do you mean, what now? For now, I would not make any assumptions and I would not speak with anyone about your assumption. If you are charged with a crime, seek a criminal defense attorney. If you are sued, advise your homeowners insurance.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

2. Report this as a potential claim to your homeowner's insurer.

3. I do these types of cases and I am not too far from you. I would be happy to speak with you. Please give me a call if you would like assistance. I suggest, in the meantime, that you do not give a statement to animal control, but inform them that you need to consult an attorney.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.

4. Report it to your homeowners insurance carrier to resolve.

5. With all due respect to the other comments, follow Ms Elliott's advice. She is local and knows the local laws and animal regulations.

THIS IS NOT A CONFIDENTIAL FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT PROVIDE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION BECAUSE THERE IS NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE PROTECTION. My statement is only a matter of my opinion and does not go to the merits of your case. Seek advice from an attorney in your local area if you have confidential or case specific questions or concerns. No Attorney-Client relationship is established between myself and any other party by communication through Avvo.com until both parties have signed a Retainer Agreement and any necessary fees have been paid to my firm. I am licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District Court for the State of Oregon. If you are in Oregon I am happy to help you if I am able or otherwise will find you someone who can.