My dog has attacked a smaller neighbors dog. I am willing to pay all of the vet bill except for a few charges.

Shelbyville, KY |

Some of the charges reflect treatment for an ear infection. Owner went to the vet 6 days in a row, ear infection treatment was on the last bill/date. Bill total is 1186.45, I am going to offer 981.24. If check is cashed, is that acceptance of my offer? If she sues later, will I be liable the remaining total?

1. Have her sign your release of liability in exchange for the payment. You shouldn't have to cover the ear infection unless it was caused by your pet.

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

2. If you're going to ask the owner of the other dog to sign something already, you could consider adding a provision confirming that the amount offered (and presumably received) represents full and final satisfaction of all claims, known or unknown. Of course, check to local counsel re: relevant statutes or considerations.

3. Pay nothing without obtained a signed, full release in exchange for your payment.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.