Skip to main content

My dog got out of the fence and attacked another dog being walked on a lease. Can they sue me for more than vet bills?

Kannapolis, NC |

This guy wants to turn it in on my home owners ins. and then they will cancel my ins. and no other co. will cover me other than mortgage ins. which is 3X's as high. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can be sued for all damages your dog caused in its attack. Notify your homeowners insurance carrier, which will provide you defense counsel.

You could retain your own counsel, but, if you cannot settle the claim, your insurance will almost certainly be part of discovery when a lawsuit is filed.

Contact the NC and your county bar associations for referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with Mr. Langer but also share your concern as more and more insurance companies are dropping their insured and individuals have a hard time finding replacement insurance. You need to hire and attorney and settle the matter as quickly as possible to prevent them from getting to the insurance.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer