My dog bit someone on the property. Can my landlord insurance cover it?

Ventura, CA |

He said one dog allowed and wrote it on the lease. Am I covered?

No, you are not "covered" if it is your dog. The owner of the dog is responsible, not the landlord who simply allows you to have a dog in your apartment.

Dog bite cases can be very expensive and because owners are strictly liable, even minor cases are worth 1000s of dollars. Even if the landlord's insurance covers it because the landlord was in some way negligent the insurance company will come after you as the owner for whatever they paid out.

You are not in a good position. Hopefully, you have renter's insurance or the injuries are very minor or no claim will be made.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

I agree with my colleague - you are not covered. You, as the dog's owner, are liable for any damage caused by your dog. Without knowing the details of the bite it is not possible to advise you, but you should speak with a local attorney.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.