My dog bit some one what is my liability?

Washington, PA |

the person was coming to purchase an item from me, i specifically told him to drive to the road behind my house where my garage was located. he took it upon himself to come up my front steps off the main road. he walked past my beware of dog sign and approached my dogs chained up in the back yard behind my house. he walked up to the dog stuck his hand out and got bit. he stated he likes dogs and didnt think the dog would act negatively toward him. what am i liable for?

1. Notify your homeowners insurance company immediately and let them worry about it.

2. You may have some liability depending upon the facts, however it may be offset as the individual may have assumed the risk of his injuries by ignoring the sign, potentially trespassing and approaching the dog when he was not invited to and had no reason to do. If the injured person threatens legal action or files suit, I would place my homeowners insurance on notice so that they can defend the claim. Hopefully, no legal action is taken.

Good luck
    noah

This response is written for entertainment purposes only. It should not be relied upon for legal advice, and in no way does this answer create an attorney/client relationship. We only represent individual(s) once there is a signed representation and fee agreement in place. Please visit our website to read our full disclaimer. http://pghfirm.com/

3. Report the claim to your homeowner's insurance company to resolve.

4. Ask your homeowner's insurance company. It sounds like you have a solid defense but your insurance company must be placed on notice by you calling them and sending them anything you get in the mail about the claim.
    If you do not have homeowners insurance, call an experienced Personal injury lawyer for a consult. The victim has up to two years to file a lawsuit but you do not want to wait. Do it NOW.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. is general information and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. and Worthington Law Group does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state or under Federal law.

5. Simply report it to your homeowner's insurance carrier to resolve.

6. Your homeowner's insurance company will handle this for you.

7. Normally you are responsible for injuries if you know that your dog has bitten someone before and do not take reasonable steps to protect visitors from the dog. In this case, it would appear that you did everything possible to prevent your visitor from being bitten by your dog. If you have Homeowners Insurance, then you are most likely insured for this type of claim. If a claim is made against you, notify your Homeowners Insurance Company and they will defend and insure you.

8. Dog bite injuries can be handled by the homeowners policies. You've received good advice from the AVVO attorneys. PA is a strict liability state, my contribution is the article posted below explaining generally what that means: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

9. Report this to your homeowners' insurance carrier and let the company take care of this. If you do not have insurance, ask the question again and add that you did not have insurance coverage.