My dog bit another dog, will he be put down?

My sister decided to take the dog for a walk, on the walk the dog and another dog started lunging at each other. Our dog hurt the other dog so that he needed stitches. The owner was hysterical and still is very upset. We gave them our information and when we went over to talk to them they said they are calling the police because they want our dog to be put down. They proceeded to tell us what bad owners we are and how our dog has not been socialized properly. This is his first time ever attacking or biting anyone or anything. Our dog also has scratches and little bites on his body but not like the other dog. I really do not want my dog to be put down. We offered to pay all bills for the dog. Can they have my dog killed?

Mansfield, MA -

Erik Hammarlund

Erik Hammarlund

Employment / Labor Attorney - Vineyard Haven, MA

Why are you assuming you're at fault? It sounds like both dogs were injured and it's not clear which dog started it--the winner is not always the dog who started the fight.

I would get a lawyer, and/or would, at the least, refrain from confessing guilt.

Thomas J Callahan

Thomas J Callahan

Family Law Attorney - Hanover, MA

That decision is up to the animal control officer first and then Board of Selectmen on appeal if necessary. If this is an absolutes incident, I would hope not. The offer to make all good financially + lack of history will hopefully make the emotion of the moment blow over.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Have a local animal law attorney protect your rights

Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Personal Injury Lawyer - Boston, MA

Get a personal injury lawyer out of Mansfield to help, because there are likely to be local issues. Otherwise, a lawyer from a large nearby city. Maybe it was the other dog's fault. Get a free consultation.

Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

Animal Law Attorney - Normandy Park, WA

The answer to your question depends upon the code applicable in your area. It appears as though you live in the City of Mansfield. I do not practice in MA and certainly not in Mansfield. The code shows a dangerous animal declaration and appeal procedure. It appears as though your dog could be declared dangerous and you could appeal the designation. There is also a defense of provocation which may apply in your case. If your dog is deemed dangerous and you lose the appeal, you could be required to remove your dog from the jurisdiction or euthanize your dog. I suggest that contact a local attorney familiar with the dangerous dog laws in your area. Dangerous dog appeals should not be done without the assistance of an attorney.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.