My dog attacked the neighbor's dog

My dog was with me in my garage when my neighbors dog charged onto my driveway barking at my dog, and my dog attacked the neighbor's dog in my driveway causing injury to the neighbor's dog. The neighbor's dog was not leashed. Under Texas law am I liable for damages to the neighbor's dog?

Austin, TX -

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

Litigation Lawyer - Irvine, CA

Yes, he can be cited for having his dog unleashed off the property and the trespass the dog committed, but you are liable for the injury and the vet bills. In some states, courts will deduct some amount of they feel the other party was negligent. In any event, you must tender it to your homeowner's insurance. If there is coverage, they will either pay the claim or hire an attorney to defend you at their expense.

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Animal Law Attorney - Perris, CA

I don't think that you are liable. Texas HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
TITLE 10. HEALTH AND SAFETY OF ANIMALS
CHAPTER 822. REGULATION OF ANIMALS
would appear to allow you to kill the dog under the circumstances you describe. A Texas attorney could analyze it better....
Sec. 822.013. DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS. (a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from Health & Safety Code Sec. 822.033 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.