My dog attacked a neighbor's dog. Should I hire an attorney?

Macon, GA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I have been living in my house on 3.5 acres for a little over a year now. My dogs have always roamed the area and no one has ever complained. I got a citation for the dogs allegedly attacking another dog. They are usually very docile and I can't think of anything that would provoke them. What liability do I have in this situation? And what should I do?

Contact your homeowners insurance company immediately and give them any facts of the claim.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

Bibb County has a leash law meaning that if your dogs were off your property, you are violating the leash law. In addition, a dog owner is generally liable for any damages caused by their dog(s). So, you are liable to the other dog's owner for any vet bills incurred.

I agree with my colleague that you should contact your homeowner's insurance company right away.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes