My divorced papers state that my exhusband is supposed to pay child support until they are 18 but if they go to college 21.

Apopka, FL |

She turned 18 last may & is starting college this month. He decided to stop paying this last dec. he says he's done. He's not paying for her. Also in papers he's obligated to pay 1/2 the tuition. Can I fight him w my divorce papers even though we were divorced in NY & we now both live in fla?

1. Avvo Email

You may have the NY divorce domesticated in Florida (converted to a Florida
    judgment) and the court should enforce it according to NY Law. You will
    need a lawyer to assist you.

*

2. You'd be filing a motion for contempt/enforcement and a petition to domesticate your New York divorce judgment (or decree or whatever they call it in New York). Normally, you wouldn't be able to do your motion for contempt on a New York divorce in Florida, but since you both live in Florida, Florida courts are allowed to take jurisdiction of your case. Since domestication is a little bit more complicated than a basic motion for contempt, you'll want to get a Florida lawyer to help you.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

3. I am sorry that you are going through this. The courts are there to help and even though you have a NY divorce judgment you may have it enforced in FL since both of you live there. You will have to file a contempt along with another motion that this particular to FL. I suggest you retain one of the outstanding attny's who had first answered your case, it will be well worth your time. I hope that things work out for you and take good care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Child support Topics