My divorce was 8 yrs. ago. My attorney dropped me when he said it would cost more than what I paid. Now he wants $1600 .

Asked about 1 year ago - Moncks Corner, SC

I paid $3100.00 . When the office called to say to continue it would cost more. I told them I could not pay more. He asked the court not to represent me. I went to court without an attorney. Now after 8 yrs another lawyer send a letter saying I have 45 days to pay or they will sue. Can they do this?

1. David Alexander Browde

Pro

1

Answered . They can - but you should check the statute of limitations on breach of contract in your state. It may be a defense.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . That depends on the agreement you signed when you retained the lawyer. A sent an agreement if the attorney did indeed do work you did not pay for the lawyer has the right to collect.