My Divorce lawyer charges by minimum every 15 minutes

Dover, MA |
Filed under: Divorce

is that ethical?

Both attny's gave you excellent advice and I would only add look at the bill, did he or she no charge you for small matters here or there, call your attny and say to them this is my life i don't want to worry about the small stuff are you protecting me on the big stuff. Most lawyers will give you a discount on short calls and emails if they don't they should, and if they don't then you either have enough money not to worry about it or you should ask for a discount.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. Look at your retainer agreement that you signed with the attorney. How the attorney charges is spelled out in that document. I know that a lot of attorneys do charge in minimum increments. I hope this helps.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.

3. It is very common practice for attorneys to round up to the nearest tenth or quarter hour. Your agreement must spell this out.

4. Based on all of your questions just now, it appears that you are really having second thoughts about your attorney. Have you sat down with her and told her any of this? That's the place to start.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on Avvo.com. No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

5. It is ethical. You should sit down with your lawyer to go over the bills. In my fee agreement I charge in small increments, i.e. for each phone call and email. I often don't actually charge my client's for the quick phone calls or email, as they only take a few minutes. However, I do sometimes charge my client's for phone calls or emails, depending on the context and involvement on my part.

I also am more likely to charge for calls if the client calls multiple times a day with the same question.