My Divorce lawyer charges by minimum every 15 minutes

Asked almost 3 years ago - Dover, MA

is that ethical?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

34

40

Best Answer

Answered . Both attny's gave you excellent advice and I would only add look at the bill, did he or she no charge you for small matters here or there, call your attny and say to them this is my life i don't want to worry about the small stuff are you protecting me on the big stuff. Most lawyers will give you a discount on short calls and emails if they don't they should, and if they don't then you either have enough money not to worry about it or you should ask for a discount.

2. James Thomas Kinder

25

5

Answered . Look at your retainer agreement that you signed with the attorney. How the attorney charges is spelled out in that document. I know that a lot of attorneys do charge in minimum increments. I hope this helps.

3. Leila Judith Wons

Pro

24

3

Answered . It is very common practice for attorneys to round up to the nearest tenth or quarter hour. Your agreement must spell this out.

4. Inga L Stevens

25

2

Answered . Based on all of your questions just now, it appears that you are really having second thoughts about your attorney. Have you sat down with her and told her any of this? That's the place to start.

5. Jessica Ann Foley

19

1

Answered . It is ethical. You should sit down with your lawyer to go over the bills. In my fee agreement I charge in small increments, i.e. for each phone call and email. I often don't actually charge my client's for the quick phone calls or email, as they only take a few minutes. However, I do sometimes charge my client's for phone calls or emails, depending on the context and involvement on my part.

I also am more likely to charge for calls if the client calls multiple times a day with the same question.