My divorce judgement states that I get our 3 oldest children each year for "majority" of tax deductions my ex claimed

head of household this year and my tax preparer states I can't claim head of household or get the exemptions

Elmira, NY -

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Criminal Defense Attorney - Poughkeepsie, NY

While I don't understand what you mean by "majority," I assume it means most of them and they are specified in the agreement assuming there was no trial. If the agreement thereby allows you to claim them, then your ex-spouse should not be able to, and if you both claim, the IRS will flag and determine who gets the deductions. Typically, the agreement states that the other spouse, who could normally claim the exemption, annually sign the appropriate tax form enabling you to take the exemption pursuant to the judgment. Consult the attorney who handled your divorce or another divorce attorney in your area.

Morghan L Richardson

Morghan L Richardson

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Astoria, NY

If the children reside with you more than not, then you should be able to get the HoH deduction. If not, then only the dependant deductions are transferable per IRS rules. It is not clear from your post why the tax preparer denied you, but you may want to work with your ex- and find another accountant.

Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - La Grange, IL

If your judgment states you get to claim the kids then you get to claim them. Be sure there is no other language that is limiting like stating if you are behind in child support then you cannot. I would have a lawyer review your judgment. The tax preparer, who obviously is not an accountant, does not know the law and is most likely advising you wrong. Get an accountant. Even if she wrongfully claimed them you can still legally claim them. Better yet go to a lawyer for review wo is an accountant also, Plenty of those. Tax preparers need not even be college graduates.

Christopher Michael Larson

Christopher Michael Larson

Tax Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You can ONLY claim Head of Household if the children lived with you for more days than your ex during the year. You can claim the exemptions and Child Tax Credits for the children if your ex had them a greater number of days, but your ex will need to provide a signed Form 8332.

If they children lived with you for more days, you get to claim them and there is no question. Go to another preparer.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law
Tax Lawyer
Bellevue Tax Lawyer
Everett Tax Lawyer
Tukwila Tax Lawyer
Renton Tax Lawyer
Offer In Compromise Seattle
Employment Tax Attorney
Seattle Tax Audit Lawyer
IRS Wage Garnishment Attorney
IRS Collections Attorney
Sales Tax Audit Lawyer
Tax Court Lawyer
Innocent Spouse Relief Lawyer
Business Tax Lawyer Everett
IRS Tax Penalties Lawyer Seattle
Unfiled Tax Returns
IRS Tax Help Everett